Pages

Sunday 18 December 2016

Summer Learning Journey Day 1 Week 1

Week 1: Ready, Steady…Go!
World - expanded.png
www.ethnologue.com/world
Day 1 – Choosing a destination
The world is a very big and very cool place. There are currently 196 countries and approximately 7.1 billion people living on earth. For this project we are going to focus on just 10 countries across 6 continents – Canada (North America), Mexico (Central America), Chile (South America), England (Europe), Germany (Europe), South Africa (Africa), United Arab Emirates (Middle East), Japan (Asia), Malaysia (South-East Asia), and Australia (Australasia).

Please click on the World Map tab on the main menu. It will bring you to a big map. One by one click on the names of the countries and ready the ‘Quick Facts’ about each place.

Activities
Activity 1

After you have read the quick facts about each place you must choose ONE country that you would like to ‘visit.’ On your blog post the name of the country and tell us why you have chosen to visit it. Please give, at least, two reasons for choosing the country.
I would like to go to Canada because I think that Canada has a cool place to live in and to look around.

Activity 2
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.
1. Canada has been inhabited for millennia by various Aboriginal peoples
2. In 1931, Canada achieved near total independence from the United Kingdom with the Statute of Westminster 1931
3. Canada's long and complex relationship with the United States has had a significant impact on its economy and culture.

Bonus Activity
Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your
country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!

I would write a letter to all my friends to come to Canada I decided to go to Canada because I haven't been that and I want to go have dinner and look around town. I will be there for 3 months and I feel free to invite all my friends to come with me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helena

    I like your letter to your family explaining why you would like to go to Canada and I would love to go dinner and look around there town to.

    Great work keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helena!

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey programme for 2016-2017. I am SOOOO excited that you have decided to join us this year. It's awesome.

    I also wanted to say a huge congratulations on posting so many blogs already. I can't believe your progress. It's sensational!

    Both Dan (a teacher working with me) and I will be reading your blogs this summer and posting comments. I have to admit that I'm pretty excited that you've chosen to visit Canada. It is my home country and a place that is very close to my heart.

    You are very right to note that we have become our own country and separated from England years ago. In fact, next year is our 150th birthday. There are going to be huge parties to celebrate the big day!

    My family will definitely be going to the parties because they live about 30 minutes outside of the capital city of the country (Ottawa). I can't wait to hear all about their adventures next year. I'm hoping that my sister will write me a long email to tell me all about it.

    Speaking of writing a letter or an email I see that you would write a letter to your friends to tell that you have decided to go to Canada. That's a great idea! To earn all of the bonus points for this activity, you need to complete the letter and post it to your blog. Could you please write your friends an imaginary letter telling them that you will be traveling to Canada for 3 months? Please make sure that you start the letter with a greeting, such as 'Dear...'

    Once the letter is complete, please feel free to post it to your blog and we will read it and give you all of the bonus points that you've earned for Day #1.

    I'm really looking forward to reading your letter as soon as you've finished it!

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Helena,

    What an awesome start to your Summer Learning Journey! Welcome to the programme, like Rachel said - we are so happy to have you on board and blogging with us :-) I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs over the next few weeks.

    My name is Dan, and I'm working alongside Rachel and Mark over the summer. I'm lucky enough to be able to read your blogs and I'll be leaving comments as I go. If you want to reply to my comments then please do! I'd love to know what you think, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

    I think Canada is an awesome country to visit, I would love to travel there one day! It looks like a beautiful country, with so many amazing places to visit. Could you imagine travelling there at this time of year? You'd have to pack a few woolly jumpers!

    I'm really impressed with your fact hunting you've done for Activity 2. I didn't know that Canada's relationship with USA had such an impact on their economy? I can imagine with the recent election in the USA that their relationship with Canada might become even more complicated!

    It was so nice of you to think of inviting all your friends. I think that travelling through Canada with all of your friends would be an incredible experience. Where do you think you would like to go while your there? There are plenty of delicious places to go for dinner too, what kind of food do you like to eat? I love trying new restaurants with lots of different kinds of food.

    You have made a wonderful start to your learning journey Helena. I'm really looking forward to catching up on the rest of your blogs!

    Happy holidays :-)
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.