Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 3

Summer Learning Journey Day 3
Day 3: It’s All in the Family

Activity 1: The More, the Merrier? victorian family.jpg
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?

I would feel so annoying.
I would not enjoy being a member of such a large family.

I would not because people are gonna be crazy. I would have peace and quit in my own and kids are running around and jumping everywhere and draw on the wall.













Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko Mount Wellington te maunga The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko waikato te awa The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko Luxury Yacht te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is…
Ko ________________________ tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko ________________________ tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko Panmure tōku marae My marae is…
Ko Nuku'alofa Tonga ahau I am from…
Ko Samu rāua ko Mata ōku mātua  My parents are … and …
90668006.jpg
Ko Helena tōku ingoa. My name is …

*affiliate means to associate with, or be close to.

MY PEPEHA
Ko Gatineau te maunga.
Ko Mississippi te awa.
Ko James Telford Stirling tōku tīpuna.
Ko Williamson-Stirling tōku iwi.
Ko Williamson tōku hapū.
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.

When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.


Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts

Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!

My cousin plays a trumpet
My uncle plays a piano

BONUS POINTS: 6





6 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Helena

    My name is Jolie and I go to Glen Innes School, I am also doing the Summer Learning which is great. I just wanna say that your work is amazing. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Helena

    My name is nastazia I come from glen innes school, I will also be doing the summer learning journey and I hope that I can see one of your amazing blogs again . This blog is the most outstanding blog out there and I hope to talk to you in the future bye .

    yours truly stars .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Helena, it is so wonderful to see you completing more activities from the Summer Learning Journey programme. Well done and keep it up! The more you practice writing the better you will become!

    It is great to read about your cousin and uncle playing different instruments.

    Could you please add another fact for each person? And also add another person and mention two more facts?

    We are really interested to hear about your wonderful family :)

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Helena, great to see you working hard!

    Thanks for sharing your opinion on what it would be like to have nine siblings! I agree with you, it would be crazy. They would likely be drawing on the walls and doing all sorts of things.

    What do you think would be good about it?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malo lelei Helena,
    Your work is outstanding and I can't wait to see your next blog post.

    Keep it up and Merry Christmas to you and your family,
    Silia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Helena
    I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?
    Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.