Pages

Thursday 22 December 2016

Summer Learning Journey Day 9

Day 9 – Meet my Family
Today you are going to visit a local family. The size and the composition of families vary a great deal from country to country. In places like Japan, Canada, Australia, South Africa, the United Kingdom and Germany, families are typically quite small. Most parents have 1 to 2 children and once children grow up and get married they usually live separately from their parents. This is not the case in the United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Malaysia or in Chile. In these countries, the families are often larger and members of the extended family live together for most of their lives. Scroll down to ‘meet’ a typical family from Canada.
Canadian Family

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\My family portrait (Close Up).jpg
This is my family - the Williamsons. We’re a pretty typical Canadian family. When I was younger we lived in a small town (Almonte) in the province of Ontario, Canada. Approximately 5000 people live in Almonte. It is located 30 kilometres from Ottawa, the capital city of Canada.
My family is currently made up of five people. My dad, Ron, is on the left-hand side of the picture. He is married to my mom, Leslie (she’s the one in the blue dress). My parents have been married for 35 years! Together they had two children, Leigh (the one in the wedding dress) and me, Rachel. I’m the one in the black dress. In this picture my sister, Leigh, has just gotten married to her fiancée, Andrew (he’s the one in the grey suit!). This picture was taken in July 2012.
Activity 1
Now that you have met my family it is time to think about your own family. On your blog tell us about your family. How many people are in your family? Do you have any brothers or sisters? What are their names?
I have 8 people in my family and I do have sisters and brothers and their name is
Joshua
Samuel
Helena
Langiola
Anthony
Activity 2
Some families are very large and some are very small. Some of the smallest families are found in China where parents are allowed, by law, to have only one child. This is quite different from countries like America (U.S.A.) where some families have as many as 19 or 20 children. It is rare but it does happen!
In America, there is actually a family with 19 children who have their own television show called ’19 Kids and Counting.’ All 19 children have the same two parents (Jim Bob and Michelle) and every single one of the children has a name starting with the letter ‘J.’ The oldest children is a boy named Josh and the youngest is a girl named Josie. Amazing!
If you’d like to see a small clip from the show, follow this link: 19 Kids and Counting
Imagine that you were one of the Duggar children and you had 18 brothers and sisters. What do you think it would be like to have so many sisters and brothers living with you in one house? On your blog please tell us what you would like and what you wouldn’t like about living in such a large family.
I wouldn't like about living in a such a large family in one house because there are going to be trouble and it is going to be noise when they are running around the house.
Bonus Activity
Choose a family member and conduct a short interview. In the interview ask them five questions about themselves:
  1. What is your name? Helena
  2. Where were you born? 2007
  3. How many siblings do you have? 5
  4. What is your favourite thing about living in New Zealand? Walking around
  5. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why?I would go to USA because I haven't been there and I think it will be fun in USA.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Helena,
    I liked your opinion about living a such a big family.
    Keep up the Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helena,

    How lovely that you have such a nice, big family. My husband and I came from families of 4 children but we only had 2 daughters when our turn came to be parents. One of our daughters, Rachel, lives with you in Auckland so she's a long way away from her sister and from us. We miss her a lot!

    I'm glad you like to walk about in your home country - that's a wonderful way to feel familiar with your home, and to stay healthy!

    I hope you'll have a chance to come and visit Canada one day and walk around our big land!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helena!

    Wow 8 people sure sounds like a pretty big family to me! Are you the youngest in your family, or do you have younger siblings too? I come from quite a small family with only 4 of us. Mum, Dad, my brother David and myself! David is about 3 years older than me, so we went to school together. Do you go to school with any of your brothers and sisters?

    I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would be like to live in a family of 19.... Imagine what it must be like at their house trying to get ready for school in the morning!!

    Well done on completing your interview, but are you able to interview one of your brothers or sisters? It is awesome knowing these things about you, but it would be even better if you could interview someone else for it :-)

    On a side note though.. If you're going to Canada for your SLJ then it would be pretty easy to check out USA on your way there if that's where you want to travel!

    Naku noa,
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.