Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 4

Summer Learning Journey Day 4

Day 4: Hitting a High Note…

Activity 1: The Waiata - A Song in Your Heart
In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?
The work is down here.

Activity 2: Playing Games R20A-2.jpg
Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before?
No I have not played any of these games before.

Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?
Yes

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.
The game that I chose is hide and seek tag, the goal of the game is that you hide and the one that is trying to find you when they see you, you try and run and the person who si trying to find you tag you then you do the same thing.
The 2 rules are:
You hide
If you get tagged then you out.

You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

.
Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals – Matatini

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

My favourite performance was Tamatea Arikinui because how they did some dance moves and they were doing the poi e and I like it how they did it.

My least favourite performance is Te Puku o Te Ika because all they just did is moving side to side not doing any actions.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Helena, thanks completing three more activities for the Summer Learning Journey. You're putting in a great effort and I really appreciate it.

    I liked reading about your favourite Waiata and how you learnt it for Kids 4 Kids.

    I attended the show out in West Auckland a month or so ago to support my school. There were lots of schools there and the show really rocked!
    There were so many great songs.
    Did you perform at that show?
    What were some of your other favourite songs? I really liked Rain by Dragon, Something So Strong by Crowded House and Love Love Love by Avalanche City.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Helena, thanks for sharing your favourite game to play. I like this game a lot because of how simple it is. You can also play it anywhere you like.
    Do you play any sports? If so, what are they?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Billy, I song that I really liked is anchor me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Helena
    I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?
    Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helena,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Great job ranking the songs for the last activity. I liked Tamatea Arikinui too but I put it in second place. Te Puku o Te Ika was in my first place! I really liked how sad it was and how they were singing it and really meaning it. I didn't mind that there were no actions.

    Can you tell me what some of the lyrics for Tamatea Arikinui mean? It's important to know the meanings of songs we sing!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.