Pages

Saturday 23 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 3

Summer Learning Journey Day 3
Day 3: The Great Depression (The 1930s)

Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s did not continue into the 1930s. Instead, the stock market in America crashed on Tuesday 29 October 1929. When this happened, people lost a lot of money and much of the world sunk into a deep, financial depression. The 1930s is often referred to as the ‘Great Depression.’


Activity 1: Dealing with Stress
In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during this decade. Experts predict that as much as 30% of the population was unemployed. It was a very stressful time for families.

Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to this day. When I feel stressed I try to go for a walk or pop into my local gym for a quick workout. Exercise makes me feel better. What about you?
When I feel stressed I try to calm myself down and then for a little bit I go and sit down on the chair.

On your blog, please tell us what you do when you want to relax or de-stress. Do you read a favourite book, watch a favourite television show or talk to someone special?  What are your tips for dealing with stress?
My tips are to clam down.
Sit down and look at the wall.
Play some music.



Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand
During this period, people struggled to find work both here at home and overseas. It was a really tough time for people living in the Great Plains of the United States because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted for most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and farmers were not able to make enough money to feed their families.

Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you have done to help these families? On your blog, list three different ways that you could raise funds for families to help them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you can with your fundraising ideas!

1. Rent them 5 dollar a day
2. Send food and drinks and clothing to them
3. Give all the money that I saved in my piggy bank and get it to the families who need help



Bonus Activity: Paying it Forward

In the mid-1930s, things began to change for the better in New Zealand. More people were able to find work and receive a steady paycheck. They were still careful, however, with their money and rarely, if ever, bought treats or gifts for one another.

Imagine that you were able to travel back in time to visit a family in the 1930s. What special gifts or treats would you like to bring with you?
My gifts are clothes and food.
My treats are candy and water

I would likely bring blocks of Whittaker’s chocolate, bags of Jet Planes and Pineapple Lumps, healthy food snacks, clothing, and games for the children. What about you?

I would likely bring bags of gummy jet planes,sandwiches,water,clothing,and lots of blocks of whittaker's chocolate,pillows and blankets.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Helena
    I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?
    Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Helena, thank you for completing another set of activities. It's awesome to read your tips for reducing and relieving stress. I also like to listen to music to help me feel better. I find it clears my head and improves my mood. I like to get outside, breathe in some fresh air and go for a run. Otherwise I find watching movies or TV shows beneficial, or reading a good fiction book.

    Thank you for sharing a few ideas about how you can raise money to donate to families in need. I was thinking you could organise and run a car wash, a lemonade stand, a garage sale or a sausage sizzle. Have you ever been involved with a fundraiser?

    I like how you've created a well balanced list of items to take back to the 1930's. You have included lots of food and sweet treats but also clothing, pillows and blankets. It's great because the food will be eaten quite quickly but the other non-edible items will last a long time. So I think the families will be very happy.

    Great work Helena,
    Billy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.