Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 2

Summer Learning Journey Day 2
Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work

Activity 1: A House or a Home?

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?
It kinda looks like my house but without the thing on top on the roof and the Maori designs.

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?
The 2 similarities is the door and sleeping in.
The 2 difference between a wharepuni and my house is that my house looks a bit bigger and bigger spaces.








Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland because I would love to become a travel blogger and photographer one day.

I want to be a nurse because I want to look after the sick and to heal people so that they can enjoy there life in this world.
Image result for nurse

.
Bonus Activity: Special Meals

Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum!

On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!
My favourite meal is fried rice because I eat it all the time and I love the rice.
The recipe are:
Add rice, soy sauce, oyster sauce and remaining sesame oil. Then, add bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until it is heated through.
Image result for chinese fried rice


3 comments:

  1. Hi Helena,
    that looks like a delicious dish that everyone can try. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Keep it up.

    Kind Regards,
    Silia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Helena, great to read these three activities. I like the comparisons you have made between the traditional wharepuni and your own home. How do you think they would be different on the inside? Could you tell me a few more differences or similarities please?

    I really enjoyed reading about your dream job of becoming a nurse. That is such a caring and considerate job to choose. Well done! I'm glad to hear you enjoy helping people, we need more people like you in the world! Where do you think you would want to work? In Auckland? Another city? Another country even?

    And lastly, thanks for sharing your recipe about how to make fried rice with us. I often make this with chicken and lots of veges. I like to make it because it is cheap and easy and not to mention tasty.

    What would you say your favourite sweet food is?

    Thanks Helena, I can't wait to read your responses to my questions.
    Keep up the fantastic blogging, you are doing a really great job.
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Helena
    I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?
    Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.